Memory Lane- Songs that Always Make A Great Trip Worth Taking!
Nostalgia is something almost everyone goes through. Even young people think nostalgically about a time when they were really happy. The definition of nostalgia according to the Dictionary is:
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations:
something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia:
What are some of the things that brings on nostalgia? Food, pictures, television shows or movies. Sometimes a smell or sound. In other words, almost anything can take you back to that happy place.
One of the most powerful tools, at least for me, is music. Sitting on the padded seat behind my dad on the tractor listening to 560 KMON classic country music on a warm summer night, or cruising down Central with my High School friends cranking 80’s rock, all of these memories revolve around a happy time and music.
For those reasons I compiled a list of songs that invoke nostalgia. Although the list could easily contain thousands of songs, these are a few that always put a smile on face when I hear them on the radio.
Classic Country Songs:
Crystal Gayle- Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
- This was a song that was played often when riding the tractor with dad
- To this day, I will sit in my vehicle listening to 560 KMON during a thunderstorm so I can get that crackle on the radio that I listened to as a kid
Sawyer Brown- The Race is On
- This is one of the songs that I learned to jitter bug too while at college at MT State University
Garth Brooks- Much too Young to Feel this Damn Old
- Early in my professional career, when I thought I was over worked and underpaid, this was my go to song- Yikes, if I only knew how easy I had it back then......
Hank Williams Jr- several of his songs
- Most of Bocephus's songs were very popular in my high school and college days. Whenever I hear any of them from the 80’s and 90’s it takes me back to a fun carefree time.
Classic 80”s Rock:
Guns n’ Roses- Sweet Child O’ Mine
- Central Ave in my mom’s car rocking out with my buddies
Bon Jovi- Livin’ on a Prayer
- I still belt out the “Livin’ on a Prayer” line when it is time! I know that you do as well
Def Leppard- Pour Some Sugar on Me
- A good group sing along that had a little bit of naughtiness to it
Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven
- Every schools prom song or theme and of course, you had to dance it slow and close…..
Enough of my memory lane, what about timeless songs:
Neil Diamond- Sweet Caroline
- Will this song ever quit being popular….I hope not
Village People- YMCA
- Don’t lie, you sing along and do the arm motions in your mind
Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back
- Another naughty song that we all love. Yes- my kids roll their eyes at me when I go all Mix-A-Lot on them...I like Big Butts and I can .....
Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out
- Not just a song, but a question often asked. How many of you know the rest of the words to the song? I don’t.
Thomas Werner - The Chicken Dance
- Okay- I would be okay if this song was retired. I know, it is a popular song at many venues, but I think it is time!
I started the list, now it is your turn to add to it. Send me your thoughts.
If you have a story idea or something you want to learn more about, give Randy a call at 406-788-3003 or send me an email at email@example.com
LOOK at these other great country music songs that most enjoy!