Take a Fascinating Journey Down One of Montana’s Oldest Roads
There is a lot to explore in Montana. If you're already planning your summer adventures, here's one that you need to add to your list.
Inside Glacier National Park, there's a scenic drive known as North Fork Road that begins at the park's western entrance and continues for about 58 miles to the Canadian border, where it becomes Akamina Parkway in Waterton Lakes National Park. The road is the oldest road in the park and follows the Flathead River. It was built in 1901.
Get our free mobile app
Here are some details about North Fork Road in Glacier National Park:
- Road conditions vary: North Fork Road is only accessible during the summer months (usually from late June to early October), depending on weather conditions. The gravel road is very narrow in spots, so driving large RVs or trailers is not recommended.
- Scenic Views: North Fork Road offers stunning views of the Rocky Mountains, including the continental divide, as well as the north fork of the Flathead River. The road also passes by numerous hiking trails, campgrounds, and historic buildings.
- Wildlife: North Fork Road is a great place to see wildlife, including grizzly bears, black bears, moose, elk, deer, and bighorn sheep. Visitors should keep a safe distance and never approach or feed wildlife.
- Limited Services: There are limited services along North Fork Road, so visitors should be prepared with food, water, and other essentials. There are several campgrounds and picnic areas along the road, as well as a ranger station and a few small stores.
- You Can Drive Into Canada: The road crosses the border into Canada at the Canadian town of Peigan. Visitors must have a valid passport or other travel documents to cross the border, and there may be customs and immigration inspections.
If you want to plan a trip along North Fork Road in GNP, it offers a unique perspective of Glacier National Park that you don't get on Going-To-The-Sun Road. You can also escape the crowds at the park. Take your time, drive carefully, and make sure you're prepared.
25 Pictures of Montana's Most Beautiful Highway
Have you ever driven the most beautiful highway in Montana?
10 Reasons Why Montana Is Better Than Other States
What makes Montana so much better than other states?
Beware! 10 of the Most Deadly Animals Found in Montana
Montana is full of wild animals, and many of them can be deadly. Here are some of the deadliest animals that are native to Montana.